The First Utility District of Hawkins County was formed on February 22, 1946. The District was formed out of necessity to serve clean filtered water to the citizens of Eastern Hawkins County in Tennessee. The District was made up of small community water systems that merged together to form the First Utility District of Hawkins County. Over the past 50 + years the First Utility District has spread its boundaries to include customers in the most rural areas of Eastern Hawkins County. The original water source was Alexander Creek located right in the heart of Church Hill, TN. There were two other springs in the Carters Valley area that allowed water to be served to the citizens of rural Carters Valley. A lot has changed since 1946. In July of 2009 a state of the art membrane water plant was built on the Holston River to supply the much increasing demand that faced the citizens of Eastern Hawkins County and the First Utility District.
The First Utility District now has 21 employees to serve our ever growing customer base of over 20,000. The First Utility also serves water to many commercial accounts as well. The District believes that having enough water to meet residential demands and have excess will open the doors to future industrial growth for Hawkins County. The District serves customers in the city of Church Hill, Town of Mt. Carmel and many rural areas that exist in Eastern Hawkins County. It is our pleasure to serve water to all these customers and we will continue to provide the best customer service possible to ensure Hawkins County continues to grow both commercially and residentially.